We’ve teamed up with the Global Entrepreneurship Network to bring you some of the SXSW 2018 inclusivity events that you won’t want to miss. Get on your walking shoes because your schedule is going to be packed with non-stop action.
Team Hello Alice is also committing to filming 50 “#RoleBreakers On the Go” videos to spread the stories of founders from diverse backgrounds. So, if you see us on the streets or at events, be sure to say hello and tell us why you’re a role-breaking entrepreneur!
Thursday, March 8
- “Women Connect: International Women’s Day Brunch” | 10:00 AM — 12:00 PM | WeWork Domain, 3rd Floor | Join WeWork and Bunker Labs for a networking Brunch to celebrate International Women’s Day, featuring women leaders in business, entrepreneurship, and nonprofits. After mimosas, Cuvèe Coffee and breakfast, a panel of our distinguished women leaders (including Team Alice’s Courtenay Siegfried) will host an interactive discussion, sharing their journey and the way forward to propel women in leadership.
- “Against the Odds: Charting Your Path as a Woman” | 12:30 PM-1:30 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon H | The question, “What’s it like being a woman in the industry” has littered the red carpet, conferences, press junkets, boardrooms and green rooms in Hollywood, Wall Street, Capitol Hill, Music Row, Silicon Valley and any other place you can find a working woman. Further, workplace discrimination transcends gender — the bigger issue is diversity. This session will discuss identifying your unique strengths, allowing your purpose to lead the way, and knowing what concessions you’re willing to make without resentment. | Panelists: Emily Chang (Bloomberg) and Kirsten Green (Forerunner Ventures).
- “How to Build an Inclusive Workplace” | 11:00 AM — 12:00 PM | Fair Market | Badge holders & Bumble/Bumble Bizz/Bumble BFF app users | Phillip Picardi, chief content officer ‘Them’ and ‘Teen Vogue’ and, along with Meredith Talusan, executive editor of ‘Them’; Samhita Mukhopadhyay, executive editor of ‘Teen Vogue’; Jason Collins (former NBA player).
- “Return on Inclusion: Investing in Diverse Startups” | 2:00 PM — 3:00 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon K | *Badged Event* | A group of fund managers will discuss how investing in diverse startups can lead to greater financial success. Panelist will discuss the challenges that entrepreneurs from diverse backgrounds face as they look to raise money and build their businesses, and will explore how startups can leverage their diverse perspective as a competitive advantage. | Panelists: Kai Bond (Comcast Ventures/Catalyst Fund, Sutian Dong (Female Founders Fund), Arlan Hamilton (Backstage Capital) and Charles Hudson (Precursor Ventures).
- “Women in Visual Arts Meet Up” | 3:30 PM — 4:30 PM | JW Marriott, Room 213 | *Badged Event* | Calling all women in video production especially videographers, editors and video content creators. Listen up creative female tech founders and funders! Join Women Tech Founders (WTF, for short) and the female-driven video team of Social Snacks for an hour dedicated to uniting badass women who know how to shoot, edit, code or create content while fighting the good fight in male-dominated fields. Let’s collaborate, network and fill your cute bags with new contacts!
- “Transitioning Vets: From Battlefield to Tech Career” | 9:30 AM — 10:30 AM | Fairmont Manchester A | *Badged Event* | The biggest gap in the cloud technology space is a supply of talent. Meanwhile, thousands of U.S. soldiers return to civilian life and find themselves underemployed or unemployed because of a lack of training and opportunities. In partnership with Salesforce and veteran service organizations, we’ll discuss careers in this ecosystem of growing technology. Learn about the challenges faced, the resources available and the job opportunities for veterans transitioning to cloud careers. | Panelists: Nolan Melson (Capgemini/Merivis Foundation), Hector Perez (Merivis Foundation/Fidelity Investments), Kate Perez (Merivis Foundation) and Ann Weeby (Salesforce).
- “Fostering Women & Underrepresented Communities as Entrepreneurs”| 11:00 AM — 12:45 PM | Fair Market | Badge holders & Bumble/Bumble Bizz/Bumble BFF app users | Alice co-founders Carolyn & Elizabeth will lead a talk on succeeding as a woman entrepreneur and honing your elevator speech. Come prepared to pitch!
- “Add Your Name: The Role of Men for Gender Equality” | 11:00 AM — 12:00 PM | Westin Austin Downtown, Paramount 1–2–3 | *Badged Event* | More than ever men are asking how they can find their role in the movement for gender equality. The answer: Connect it to their values and allow them to find the meaning and action in it. It is essential that men join women in creating equitable and equal opportunities in the workplace and beyond. This session will teach ways to get involved and how to educate yourself on steps to take to bring us closer to gender equality. Wade Davis will leave attendees more self-aware and ready to show up as partners in action for gender equality.
- “They: Gender Non-Conformity Meet Up” | 12:30 PM — 1:30 PM | JW Marriott, Room 210 | *Badged Event* | Come be with other creatives who push against the binaries of gender restraints and understand why the evolution of language and pronouns is necessary. Come find some freedom. Or come ask every question you’’ve been burning to ask. (If you’re polite.) Learn about the pronoun, bathrooms without binaried icons on the doors, art we’re making, the intersection of gender and artistic expression, our favorite pop songs and even how to move through a mis-gendering moment with grace. Because it happens to all of us. We’re all humans. Let’s talk, mingle, maybe get a little uncomfortable, and remember — we’re all human together. Humans with an open bar.
- “Latinas Removing Barriers in Tech” | 12:30 PM — 1:30 PM | Fairmont Congressional C | *Badged Event* | Envisioning a bold future, this panel will discuss the role of Latinas in tech both as users and as leaders of tech companies. Smartmatic technology is being used to shatter barriers for women in politics. Smartmatic played a crucial role in making Bolivia the second country with most female parliamentary representation. Yahoo is leveraging technology to engage Latinas through original content creation and video production, speaking to a powerful demographic in the U.S., Latin America and Spain. | Panelists: Carolina Casares (Yahoo Latin America & Spain), Kety Esquivel (Edelman), Claudia Romo Edelman (UNICEF) and Samira Saba (Smartmatic).
- “Meet a Mentor, presented by the Kauffman Foundation” | 1:30 PM — 4:30 PM | Maggie Mae’s | RSVP & then sign up for a mentorship spot | Founders, join the Kauffman Foundation for one-on-one Mentor Sessions with some of the industry’s best and most innovative leaders. Mentors include Kauffman Foundation leaders, Janice Omadeke (The Mentor Method), Yuval Yarden (GEN), Tarik Sultan (Sultan Ventures) and Team Alice’s own Courtenay Siegfried and Anna Pickren.
- “Black Entrepreneurship: Beyond Music and Sports” | 3:30 PM — 4:30 PM | JW Marriott, Salon 3 | *Badged Event* | Ask the everyday person to name 3 very successful black entrepreneurs that are not in sports or entertainment. Most people don’t know any; and because of this reality, black entrepreneurs experience the impact of pattern matching, especially in the innovation, entrepreneurship and investment sectors. Yet, even before the Emancipation Proclamation, black entrepreneurs have existed. Learn this US history. | Panelists: Louis Green (National Minority Supplier Development Council, Arif Gursel (Heroku, Inc.), Jessica O Matthews (Uncharted Power) and Velicia D Woods (Department of Commerce: Minority Business Development Agency).
- “LGBTQIA+ Meet Up” | 3:30 PM — 4:30 PM | JW Marriott, Room 208 | This Meet Up allows attendees to connect with an entire room of LGBTQIA+ professionals in various fields and backgrounds from around the world! Speed-networking is the opportunity to have multiple one-on-one brief introductions, talk about your latest idea and connect later during the conference. Develop your best elevator pitch, have your twitter handle ready to exchange and SPEED-NETWORK and GO!
- “Resistance & Disruption Through Diversity & Data” | 5:00 PM — 6:00 PM | Four Seasons Ballroom CD | *Badged Event* | In the last few years, diversity has become top of mind, opening the door to a wide variety of compelling and powerful influencer content that educates & changes minds. Join Hilary Sloan, director of business development at ShopStyle, Nicolette Mason, diversity pioneer and founder, and Blake Gifford, attorney and digital influencer, as they discuss the power of activism within influence and about the opportunities for influencers who are taking a stand. Learn how brands can engage within this conversation in a meaningful way.
- “Startup Night SXSW 2018, presented by the Kauffman Foundation & TechCo” | 8:00 PM — 12:30 AM | Maggie Mae’s | Startup Night SXSW 2018, presented by the Kauffman Foundation in partnership with TechCo, as part of the annual Startup of the Year program, is a celebration of startups, entrepreneurial ecosystems, and inclusivity.
- “Mentors + Mimosas: Founders Edition, presented by OHub, Black & Brown Founders, Alice + MOGULDOM” | 11:00 AM — 1:00 PM | Maggie Mae’s | Pre-register | Tap into the expertise of founders, investors and ecosystem builders over mimosas (I mean, could there be a better combo?). Note: This event is 21+ up.
- “Women Funding Women, by Springboard Enterprises & Dell” | 12:30 PM — 3:30 PM | THE EXPERIENCE by Dell Technologies | The session features first person insights from an investor and an entrepreneur who have successfully transacted an equity investment, followed by presentations from four growth stage entrepreneurs accompanied by crowd-sourced audience comments and connections. A reception to encourage connections caps the afternoon.
- “The Future of Business is Female” | 12:30 PM — 1:30 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon J | *Badged event* | Explore why intentionality around equal opportunity for women is a cornerstone to building and funding a successful startup enterprise and how new research and the #MeToo movement have opened up new pathways for investing in women leaders. | Panelists: Stephanie Lampkin (Blendoor), Sonal Shah (Beeck Center for Social Impact & Innovation), Jennifer Stye (Rent the Runway Foundation) and Cindy Whitehead (The Pink Ceiling).
- “Black Tech Meet Up” | 5:00 PM — 6:00 PM | JW Marriott, Room 208 | *Badged Event* | Black tech founders, entrepreneurs, professionals and those interested in breaking into the tech space, let’s connect. Black people are significantly underrepresented in this industry and this Meet Up will help bridge that gap by connecting them with each other, companies that are looking to hire diverse talent and companies that are interested in investing in startups with diverse founders. Let’s get one step closer to “How do we bridge diversity, dollars and disruption?”.
- “BE Conference” | 8:00 AM — 6:00 PM | Omni Austin Hotel Downtown | VIP tickets still available as of writing | The BE Conference is a premier women’s conference that connects change makers seeking to make an impact with game changers at the top of their fields who want to inspire and mentor the next generation of leaders. It is a gathering for the most influential women in entertainment, media, and technology. The audience consists of 350 millennials, including entrepreneurs, influencers and rising stars in their respective worlds, along with 50 mentors who are eager to teach and learn
from each other. Alice’s Carolyn Rodz will join an afternoon panel on building an empire.
- “Pop Up & Pitch Competition @ SXSW” | 3:00 PM — 5:00 PM | Black Girls Venture|The WeDC House, 709 East 6th St | This remixes the traditional approach by allowing the audience to ask questions and contribute 50% of the vote, in addition to our esteemed panel of judges. The competition will accept for-profit and non-profit ventures that are revenue-generating and have at least one woman founder.
- “Pitch Competition for Underrepresented Founders, in collaboration with AWS + We Power Tech” | 4:00 PM — 5:30 PM | Capital Factory | The future of tech is every color, gender, belief, origin, and community. The future of tech is accessible, flexible, and inclusive. To spread this message at SXSW and beyond, Capital Factory is hosting a Pitch Competition for Underrepresented Founders* in collaboration with the AWS Startup Team and AWS We Power Tech. We will select 6 startups to pitch for 3 minutes each in front of a panel of VCs and early stage investors. All contestants will receive an allocation of AWS Activate Promotional Credits (some limitations apply). The winner will be featured on the AWS Startups Blog, receive 3 months of free co-working from Capital Factory, and receive various additional prizes that will help enable their company to grow. Come watch your fellow founders throw-down and see who has the chops to impress our panel of judges. Sign up today, as spots are limited. My girl Elizabeth Gore will be emceeing!
- “Bunker Brews: SXSW Media Edition” | 5:00 PM — 7:00 PM | Capital Factory, 16th Floor VIP Lounge | Come get inspired by successful military and veteran entrepreneurs, educated, and connected to the national network of military, veterans and military spouse entrepreneurs and innovators in Austin for SXSW. We’ll be creating featured media profiles of military entrepreneurs in attendance, local brews, and Tito’s Handmade Vodka. We have local media-focused entrepreneurs like Andy Williams, of HGTV’s Flip or Flop Fort Worth, Naji Kelly with BLNDED Media, telling the stories of diverse entrepreneurs and Maria Reed, Founder of Moving with the Military and several others.
- “Black Women and the Invisible Billion Dollar Startup” | 5:00 PM — 6:00 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon J | *Badged Event* | Diversity is the new black. The tech community acknowledges huge barriers for black women founders, but there are still no real solutions. Contrary to mainstream belief, the issue is NOT a pipeline problem, but lack of funding, access, resources, and awareness. Two emerging organizations, Black Women Talk Tech and Black Tech Women, are now on a mission to create the solutions needed to address this oversight and support a black woman as the next billion dollar founder. | Panelists: Regina Gwynn (TresseNoire), Kelli Jones (Be Nimble), Sydney Thomas (Precursor VC) and Lauren Washington (KeepUp).
- “Why Black Women are 2018’s Best Investment” |3:30 PM — 4:30 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon B | *Badged Event* | Fewer than twenty African American women have raised more than a million dollars in venture capital. What’s going on here? Meet some of those women and the investors who back them. Learn why they are building the next breakthrough businesses that will change America. | Panelists: Cheryl Contee (Fission Strategy), Kathryn Finney (digitalundivided) and Sarah Koch (Case Foundation).
- “Journalists Shattering the Status Quo” | 2:00 PM — 3:00 PM | JW Marriott, Salon FG | *Badged Event * | Seasoned journalists share how news agencies are crafting stories about entrepreneurs of color, female founders, and the inclusive ecosystems that shatter the status quo. Explore the changing face of entrepreneurship with us. | Panelists: Vanessa De Luca (Essence), Megan Rose Dickey (TechCrunch), Jade Floyd (Case Foundation) and Valentina Zarya (Fortune).
Bonus — Find Team Alice and Team GEN at these awesome SXSW events, too:
- “Attracting VC Investment Outside of Silicon Valley” | Friday, March 9 | 12:30 PM — 1:30 PM | Hilton Austin Downtown, Salon C | *Badged Event* | How do you attract Venture Capital investment in your startup when you don’t live in Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, or Boston? Hear from three Texan-based investors and entrepreneurs to find out what factors they considered and how you can make your pitch stand out from the rest. Find out what advantages and disadvantages there are to investing in emerging startup hubs in the U.S. | Panelists: Gordon Daugherty (Capital Factory), Doug Pepper (Shasta Ventures), Carolyn Rodz (Alice) and Brian Sharples (Twyla, Inc.).
- “The Girls’ Lounge”| Friday-Sunday | Palm Door on Sabine | The Female Quotient is hosting nearly non-stop panels with amazing women. Alice’s Carolyn will be on the “Reality Check” panel, Friday, March 9, 2:00 — 3:00 PM.
- “ATX Startup Crawl”| Friday, March 9 | 4:00 PM — 8:00 PM | The official pre-kickoff party of SXSW — The SXSW Startup Crawl! On Friday, March 9th, grab a drink and some swag as you tour the latest and greatest of Austin’s startup community — culminating in the epic megastop at Capital Factory. Grab a group of friends and take the shuttle from stop to stop for a free beverage, to drop off a resume, see office space or explore Austin’s startup scene. Alice will have a table along the route!
- “NorthStar panel” | Sunday, March 11| 1:00 PM— 2:00 PM |Amplify Philly House, 401 E 6th St |The NorthStar Connection: How Philadelphia is Supercharging Inclusivity and Becoming A Tech Diversity Hub.
- BE Conference x Alice Mentor / Founder Walk at SXSW | Monday, March 12| 7:00 AM — 8:00 AM |Alice is teaming up with BE Conference for a walk around Austin. We’ll be burning off the cocktails and chatting about life, business and propelling our companies forward. Meet at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, and we’ll take off at 7:00 am (on the dot!) . Don’t forget to register here to be included on our list for timely updates. This event is open to anyone
who wants to get connected to other entrepreneurs at SXSW — whether you’re a founder, investor, expert, or ecosystem builder. Come solo or bring a friend. Kids and pets are welcome, too.
- “CTA Innovation Policy Day Kick-Off Party” | Monday, March 12 | 5:30 PM — 7:30 PM | Google Austin | Join the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and Google to kick off the fifth annual Innovation Policy Day. Connect with IPD panelists and attendees. DJ set by Hank Shocklee of Public Enemy.
- “Dell Small Biz Brunch & Bingo” | Tuesday, March 13 | 10:00 AM — 1:00 PM | In this fast-paced high-energy twist on an old classic, we will have six teams battle it out with trivia about the world of small business, challenges and more. The winning team will receive a prize package courtesy of Dell Small Business, Bumble Bizz, and Kendra Scott, three companies started by iconic Austin entrepreneurs. Each team will be led and coached by seasoned entrepreneurs. Each member (up to 6) of the winning Bingo team will receive:New Dell XPS 13” Rose Gold laptop — perfect for running your small business in style; $200 Prize from Bumble to Empower You on Your Small Business Journey; An exclusive product gifting of Kendra Scott’s not-yet-released Candle Collection launching March 28th; Ticket to the 2019 Circular Summit, provided by Alice; $100 gift card for Tiff’s Treats, Austin’s homegrown warm cookie delivery company. Each member (up to 6) of the SPIRIT AWARD team will receive: Fun Dell swag; Bumble Bizz gift bag; a piece of jewelry for you or a loved one from Kendra Scott’s Spring Collection.
- “Dell Creators Market” | Tuesday, March 13 | 1:00 PM — 4:00 PM | Dell is bringing fresh ideas to market. From the latest developments in wallpaper design to energy analytics via drone, come see how some of the most innovative and exciting companies are re-defining their industries. Alice will be hosting Startup Therapy during the Creators Market; starting at 12:45 PM, drop by to sign up for a 25-minute one-on-one mentorship session with Team Alice and friends. Space limited, so sign up early.
- “CTA Innovation Policy Day” | Tuesday, March 13 | 9:00 AM — 4:30 PM | *Badged Event* | Join the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)™ for the fifth annual Innovation Policy Day for discussions surrounding the tech policies facing emerging and disruptive technologies. Alice’s Elizabeth Gore will be part of the conversation on inclusion in tech industry.
- “#HOUSxSW” | Friday, March 9-Tuesday, March 13 | Meet Houston’s startup founders, creators and innovators.
Still itching for more SXSW fun? Check out these additional event lists from our friends:
- [email protected] and the OHubHouse — This jam-packed schedule of panels, parties and opportunities is the go-to place for SXSWers interested in diversity and inclusivity in the startup ecosystem.
- Blended Media — The SXSW diversity events don’t end with our list. Blended has a bunch more on their list.
- Female Founders & Friends ATX+ — For SXSW events focused on women, check out this Facebook page for a killer crowd-sourced list.
- Case Foundation’s 33 Sessions You Shouldn’t Miss in 2018 — This blog post by Case’s Jade Floyd is an awesome aggregation of more inclusivity events you’ll want to attend.
- Bunker Labs’ “Best of SXSW Military Programming and Events”
- Austin Chronicle’s “Queer Guide to SXSW”
- And our pal, Marc Nathan, created this super thorough guide to all things SXSW. He’s a local Austin startup champion, so he basically has the scoop on it all!